Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Basic Chic: The Neutral Trench

A neutral trench is a timeless classic and an absolute fashion essential.   You'll find that a neutral trench can add instant glam to any cool weather outfit; cinched with a metallic belt (traded out for the coat's accompanying belt) and paired with Over-the-Knee (OTK) boots, it is an investment piece that you'll reach for season after season, year in and year out.


1.  Old Navy Twill Trench Coat in Neutral
2.  Liz Claiborne Sash Belt in Bronze
3.  Pleaser Legend (8899) OTK Boots in Brown
The 1, 2, 3 style for today is a Neutral Trench, a bronze sash belt and brown OTK boots. I decided to stay within the brown color family, accenting the jacket with bronze leather belt for a nice contrast in both texture and color with the twill jacket.  On this cool morning, the OTK boots play double duty as footwear and a substitute for hosiery.


1, 2, 3 Chic!


1, 2, 3 Chic!


Cole Haan Village Zip Satchel in Emerald
My Bravado element of today's style is this gorgeous satchel I picked up on sale. Described as lively, radiant and lush, Emerald green is Pantone's 2013 color of the year.  Both elegant and beautiful, emerald green, "...enhances our sense of well-being, balance and harmony," making it the perfect color complement to a neutral ensemble.






Knitted Infinity Scarf






My Moxie element in today's outfit is this Infinity scarf.  I bought this knit scarf at a local Italian market with the express purpose of fashioning my own infinity scarf out of it.  Envious of those who can make their own clothes (I wouldn't dare wear anything I've made), I am a notoriously bad sewer, and I keep my sewing skills to a minimum, sticking with reinforcing buttons and mending holes in socks.  In the top picture, I've shown where I have sewn the ends together.  In the picture on the bottom, I have twisted the scarf, forming two overlapping loops and forming my secret infinity scarf!

No additional attitude needed today.  I think the boots bring quite enough!








How I Styled It?
Although styling this outfit was as easy as 1, 2, 3, the three style elements would have been perfect if I were spending the day out and about.  While indoors (jacket on or off), I wanted to incorporate more of the brown, and did so with this sleeveless, mock turtleneck (market find), and this cotton A-line skirt (in a shade called mud, from Piazza Italia).  One of my favorite cold weather pieces is a cardigan, and this cashmere and wool blend sweater (also from the market), gives me the same bravado when I'm not walking with my purse!  SN

No comments:

Post a Comment