Monday, May 27, 2013

Spring Chic: Maxi Dress

With a chill still in the early morning air, but the desire to embrace warmer weather, a maxi dress solves both temperature dilmenas; floor sweeping lengths in light fabrics, keep one stunningly chic throughout the Spring.
1.  LnA -Maxi Dress
2.  GAP -Printed Sarong/Scarf
3. Old Navy -Macrame Belt
Maxi dresses can be tricky to style and wear, if you don't know where to start.  The length can overwhelm a petite frame or truncate a statuesque one if the hemline doesn't fall in the right place.  I love a maxi dress with a waist (1) which gives my look proportions and prevents me from looking like I dressed in a sack.  If  a waist is non-existent, I like to create one with a belt (3), which gives my straight frame some contour.  I use the scarf (2) to balance out my upper half with the length of dress.

1, 2, 3 Chic!

1, 2, 3 Chic!
I absolutely love a detailed bag; high gloss yellow can be very bright, but the neutral contrasts, temper the bold color, while the studded detail gives this feminine piece some edge.  Playing up the soft yellow swirls in the scarf, the bag keeps the outfit from looking too fussy because of the neutral color which creates the background hue of the scarf.

Worn together or separately, wooden bangles are a must have accessory; they are easy to wear, and regardless of shade, texture or design, they match in texture providing a natural, earthy feel to ones ensemble.
 
How I Styled It?
1, 2, 3 Styling is so much fun with a maxi dress; whether it be creating a waist with a unique belt or adjusting the length of the hem with said belt, many looks can be achieved with this simple yet stylish silhouette.  With this particular dress, I needed to wear something under the blouse portion.  I went with this gold tank.  Not wanting to detract from the spaghetti straps, the solid strap tank allows the design of the dress to be maintained.  A thin strapped tank or even just a bra, would have visually created a mini-blind effect where the focus of the ensemble would have been on the straps and not the beautiful dress in the window.  SN

No comments:

Post a Comment