Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Versatile Chic: 1 Shirt Dress 5 Ways -A Skirt


When the 3.1 Phillip Lim and Target collaboration debuted, I wanted to purchase several pieces of the collection, but with a growing wardrobe and ever shirking closet space (and funds), it just wasn't feasible, but I wondered if I could find a single piece and re-invent it (like the grey sweatshirt I wore 5 ways earlier this year), so I could truly maximize the mileage out of this designer piece, and the Floral Print Shirt Dress is what I chose.
1. 3.1 Phillip Lim for Target -Shirt dress, Floral Print
2.  Old Navy -Bell-Sleeve Swing Jacket in Black
3.  Cole Haan -Village Zip Satchel in Emerald

Inspired after reading the description of the dress online,

(1) "Chic, sophisticated and fabulously feminine: the shirt dress, reimagined. The shirt dress in paper floral print from the 3.1 Phillip Lim for Target collection embodies the best of this classic silhouette through a thoroughly modern lens. Off with the traditional oxford collar, away with the ho-hum hemline. This lovely dress features a full-length hidden zipper, traditional men's-tailored front and inset flounce in back."

I began to think of ways in which I too, could 'reimagine' this shirt dress, and for my fifth look, I decided I would wear the dress as a skirt! The ingenious two-way zipper lends itself to a myriad of styling options.

Shoes: Michael Antonio -Luelle in Black (similar)

How I Style It

With such a flirty hemline of this 'skirt', I wanted to continue the visual appeal of the look by adding a barely-there shoe.  The delicate ankle strap in combination with the stiletto heel, add length to the legs, yet do not distract from the skirt. 

The color of the orange v-neck sweater I pulled from the blossom print on the dress.  It adds both warm and visual depth to the look when it 'peeks out' from below the jacket. The bell-sleeve twill topper, is a favorite of mine with its 3/4-sleeves and masculine, double-breasted design; juxtapose with the feminine, flounce hemline, it balances out the look.

The emerald green in the satchel is a minor color in the dress fabric; it provides color depth to the ensemble while playing up the delicate print.

SN



No comments:

Post a Comment