Sunday, November 10, 2013

Versatile Chic: 1 Shirt Dress 5 Ways -A Jacket

When the 3.1 Phillip Lim and Target collaboration debuted, I wanted to purchase several pieces of the collection, but with a growing wardrobe and ever shirking closet space (and funds), it just wasn't feasible, but I wondered if I could find a single piece and re-invent it (like the grey sweatshirt I wore 5 ways earlier this year), so I could truly maximize the mileage out of this designer piece, and the Floral Print Shirt Dress is what I chose.

1. 3.1 Phillip Lim for Target -Shirt dress, Floral Print
2. Mossimo for Target -Split Neck Cap Sleeve Sheath Dress
3. Suede Hobo Bag in Orange
Inspired after reading the description of the dress online,

(1) "Chic, sophisticated and fabulously feminine: the shirt dress, reimagined. The shirt dress in paper floral print from the 3.1 Phillip Lim for Target collection embodies the best of this classic silhouette through a thoroughly modern lens. Off with the traditional oxford collar, away with the ho-hum hemline. This lovely dress features a full-length hidden zipper, traditional men's-tailored front and inset flounce in back."

I began to think of ways in which I too, could 'reimagine' this shirt dress, and for my fourth look, I decided I would wear the dress as a Jacket! The ingenious two-way zipper lends itself to a myriad of styling options.

Shoes: DV by Dolce Vita -Bunny Platform Pump
Necklace: Carina, Italia

How I Styled It

For the 'Go-Withs' when styling this shirt dress, I stuck with neutrals and solids.  A statement piece  should always have the most to 'say' in any given ensemble, so the neutrals and solids serve to enhance it, rather than detract or compete with it.

The sheath dress with capped sleeves is ideal piece to layer under this 'jacket'.  The black is a neutral canvas, highlighting the print in the 'jacket', while providing a backdrop for the necklace, shoes and bag.

The shoes draw on another neutral color in the 'jacket', yet give a beautiful contrast to the black sheath dress.

The turquoise stone necklace adds another dimension of color while it emphasizes the subtle teals in the 'jacket', and the hobo bag keeps the look from being to formal, bringing out the autumnal flavor of this standout piece.

SN





No comments:

Post a Comment