Monday, October 21, 2013

Versatile Chic: 1 Shirt Dress 5 Ways -A Shirt

When the 3.1 Phillip Lim and Target collaboration debuted, I wanted to purchase several pieces of the collection, but with a growing wardrobe and ever shirking closet space (and funds), it just wasn't feasible, but I wondered if I could find a single piece and re-invent it (like the grey sweatshirt I wore 5 ways earlier this year), so I could truly maximize the mileage out of this designer piece, and the Floral Print Shirt Dress is what I chose.
1. 3.1 Phillip Lim for Target -Shirt dress, Floral Print
2.  Elastic Buckle Belt
3.  JCP -Worthington Stretch Cropped Pant in Black
 Inspired after reading the description of the dress online,

(1) "Chic, sophisticated and fabulously feminine: the shirt dress, reimagined. The shirt dress in paper floral print from the 3.1 Phillip Lim for Target collection embodies the best of this classic silhouette through a thoroughly modern lens. Off with the traditional oxford collar, away with the ho-hum hemline. This lovely dress features a full-length hidden zipper, traditional men's-tailored front and inset flounce in back."
 
I began to think of ways in which I too, could 'reimagine' this shirt dress, and for my second look, I decided I would wear the dress as a shirt!  The ingenious two-way zipper lends itself to a myriad of styling options
Shoes are Steve Madden -P-Suzii in black


How I Styled It?

With this dress, one can't go wrong!  The pattern, the cut and the style make it one indispensable piece.

The key to pulling off this look was the two-way zipper and the belt.  Inspired by a waistcoat I had seen Rosalind Russell (as Mame Dennis) wear in the Warner Bros. film Auntie Mame, I set out to recreate the look (only on a smaller scale), and it worked.  The two-way zipper allowed me to fix the 'shirt' placket so that it closed at my waist and the belt was used to insure it wouldn't open.

Styling Tip:
Belting a garment at the natural waist creates the illusion of a smaller mid-section .  Using the black as a a base color, when combined with the cinched waist, creates a look of longer legs!

SN

No comments:

Post a Comment