Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Versatile Chic: 1 Shirt Dress 5 Ways -A Blouse

When the 3.1 Phillip Lim and Target collaboration debuted, I wanted to purchase several pieces of the collection, but with a growing wardrobe and ever shirking closet space (and funds), it just wasn't feasible, but I wondered if I could find a single piece and re-invent it (like the grey sweatshirt I wore 5 ways earlier this year), so I could truly maximize the mileage out of this designer piece, and the Floral Print Shirt Dress is what I chose.

1. 3.1 Phillip Lim for Target -Shirt dress, Floral Print
2. Attention by Kmart -Madarin Collar Blazer in Black
3. Isaac Mizrahi for Target -Pencil Skirt in Black
Inspired after reading the description of the dress online,

(1) "Chic, sophisticated and fabulously feminine: the shirt dress, reimagined. The shirt dress in paper floral print from the 3.1 Phillip Lim for Target collection embodies the best of this classic silhouette through a thoroughly modern lens. Off with the traditional oxford collar, away with the ho-hum hemline. This lovely dress features a full-length hidden zipper, traditional men's-tailored front and inset flounce in back."

I began to think of ways in which I too, could 'reimagine' this shirt dress, and for my third look, I decided I would wear the dress as a blouse! The ingenious two-way zipper lends itself to a myriad of styling options.


Shoes: Report -Julian in Black Suede
Belt: Mossimo Supply Co. for Target -Perforated Belt in Coral


How I Styled It

I never imagined I would ever style a skirt over a dress, but to achieve this look that is exactly what I did, and the result?  One chic ensemble!

There were two tricks to pulling off this pencil skirt over the dress style.  The first was to size up!  Had the pencil skirt been the actual size that I wore, there would have been too much bulk created because the skirt of the dress (it is cut with a "traditional men's-tailored front and inset flounce in the back).

The second trick to pulling off this look is the material of the skirt.  The skirt is a cotton-spandex mix with a sateen finish.  The weight of the fabric is thicker than that of the dress, thereby creating a structured silhouette, helping to conceal the skirt of the dress beneath it.

I added the orange belt because it echoed the color of the flowers in the 'blouse' and to give me some definition at the waist.  I chose these sandals with hardware to give the look a little edge.

SN



No comments:

Post a Comment